- B.A. (Hons) first class in mathematics (Cambridge), 1981
- Certificate of advanced study in mathematics (``Part III'') with distinction 1982
- Ph.D. in mathematics (Cambridge) 1985,
- Trinity College Cambridge
- 1985-86 Senior Rouse Ball Studentship
- National University of Singapore
- University of Sheffield
- 1990-1993 Lecturer in Pure Mathematics
- 1993-1995 Lecturer in Pure Mathematics
- 1995-present Professor of Pure Mathematics
- University of Chicago
- 1989-1990 Assistant Professor
- 1994 (Fall Quarter) Associate Professor
- Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge.
- 2002 (Autumn Term) Principal Organizer of `New Contexts for Stable
- MSRI, Berkeley
- Research Professor, Feb-May 2014
- CRM, Barcelona
- Simons Visting Researcher, Spring 2015
- HIM, Bonn.
- Research Visitor, May-August 2015
- Trinity College, Cambridge.
- Senior Rouse Ball Studentship (1985-86)
- Nuffield Foundation
- Science Research Fellowship (1995-96)
- London Mathematical Society
- Junior Berwick Prize (1995)
- Head of Department of Pure Mathematics (2004-08)
- Head of School of Mathematics and Statistics (2010-13)
- National committees
- Member of the EPSRC Mathematics Strategic Advisory Team (2004-06)
- Member of Pure Mathematics RAE Panel F20 (2006-08)
- Member of Mathematical Sciences REF Panel B10 (2011-14)
- Vice President of the London Mathematical Society (2009-2015)
- London Mathematical Society journals (1994-2004)
- Topology and its applications (since 1998)
- Algebraic and geometric topology (since foundation, 2000)
- Southeast Asian Journal of Mathematics (since 1997)
- Homology, homotopy and applications (since 2007)
- Principal organizer of four month programme `New contexts for stable
homotopy.' (Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, 2002)
- Sheffield Conferences coorganized.
- Sheffield Homotopy Miniconferences (1997, 2001, 2006)
- Transpennine Topology Triangle (Sheffield node), since 1995
- Eighth and Fifteenth British Topology Meetings (1993, 2000)
- International Conferences coorganized.
- AMS Summer Regional Conference (Boulder, Colorado, 1999)
- Axiomatic, enriched and motivic homotopy theory (NATO ASI, Director),
(Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, 2002)
- Workshop on Homological algebra and representation theory in commutative
algebra (MSRI, 2003)
- Oberwolfach Homotopy theory meeting (2007, 2011, 2015)
- Kervaire Invariant Workshop, ICMS Edinburgh (2011)
- Quality assurance
- External examiner, University of Leicester (2002-04)
- External examiner, University of Durham (2007-11)
- External assessor, Sultan Qaboos University (Oman) (2007-09)
- External examiner, University of Cambridge (Ib) (2010-12)
- External examiner, University of Edinburgh (2013-15)
- Named participant in the University of Chicago NSF Topology
grant, (1995-98) and (1998-2001)
- EPSRC 3 year RA grant ``Local cohomology in algebraic topology'' (1999-2002)
- EU grant for the ``Modern homotopy theory'' Research Training Network (2000-03)
- EPSRC 3 year RA grant ``Local cohomology in algebraic topology'' (2005-08)
- EPSRC 3 year RA grant ``Homotopy theoretic notions of complete intersections for rings and
ring spectra.'' (2007-10)
- EPSRC 3 year RA grant ``Rational equivariant cohomology theories'' (2010-14)
- 9 EPSRC Visiting Fellowship grants.
Selected talks at international conferences.
- London Mathematical Society.
- American Mathematical Society.
- CBMS/NSF Conference on equivariant homotopy theory (Fairbanks, Alaska, 1993)
Three talks, on K theory, Tate cohomology and brave new equivariant algebra.
- Stable homotopy theory (Fields Institute, Toronto, 1996)
``Rational S1-equivariant cohomology theories.''
- Northwestern Conference on algebraic topology (1997)
``Varieties and local cohomology of chromatic group
- Barcelona Conference on Algebraic Topology (1998)
``Equivariant bordism and equivariant formal group laws.''
- Workshop on local cohomology (Guanajuato, Mexico; 1999) Keynote series
``Local cohomology in equivariant topology I, II, III''
- Skye Conference on Algebraic topology (2001)
``Rational torus-equivariant cohomology theories''
- Glasgow conference on structured ring spectra (2002)
``The Gorenstein condition in algebra and topology''
- Northwestern Conference on algebraic topology (2002)
``Rational S1-equivariant cohomology theories and elliptic curves.''
- Barcelona Conference on Algebraic Topology (2002)
``Algebraic groups and equivariant cohomology theories.''
- EU Workshop Elliptic cohomology and chromatic phenomena (INI Cambridge, 2002)
``Algebraic groups and equivariant cohomology theories.''
- MSRI Evans lecture (MSRI, Berkeley, 2003) ``Brave new commutative algebra reborn.''
- Homotopy theory meeting (Oberwolfach, 2003) ``New twists for `Duality in algebra and
- Interactions between homotopy theory and algebra (Chicago, 2004)
``First steps in brave new commutative algebra, I,II''
- Structured ring spectra (Rosendal, 2005)
``Brave new commutative algebra and modular representation theory.''
- Topologie Algebrique et Applications (Nice, 2006)
Keynote series ``Four lectures on rational equivariant cohomology theories.''
- NRW Topology meeting and Bonn Colloquium (2007)
``Commutative algebra for spaces and groups.''
- Commutative algebra (Lincoln, NA, 2008)
``Homotopy invariant notions of complete intersection for rings and
- New contexts in homotopy theory (Chicago 2009) ``Rational torus-equivariant cohomology theories.''
- Positive scalar curvature, topology and geometry (Muenster 2010) ``Local cohomology and the GLR conjecture.''
- Derived categories (Banff, 2011) ``Homotopy invariant notions of complete interesection.''
- Thematic Workshop (Lille, 2012) ``Duality and local
cohomology'' (Keynote lecture series)
- Eilenberg Centenary Conference (Warsaw, 2013) ``Equivariant
cohomology theories from algebraic geometry.''
- ICM Satellite conference, Algebraic Topology (Dalian, 2014)
``Embodying the localization theorem.''
- IRTATCA (CRM Barcelona, 2015) ``Homotopy invariant
commutative algebra'' Advanced Course.
List of publications
.pdf file here.
- Juan Antonio Perez (1991-94)
- Gareth Williams (2001-05)
- Dave Barnes (2004-07)
- Kijti Rodtes (2007-10)
- Arjun Malhotra (2007-11)
- Mohammad Abbasirad (2010-14)
- Magdalena Kedziorek (2010-14)
- Three current students
Last modified March 2015 by